mandag 18. april 2011

Spring Break, Cars and Beauty of Beirut

Written on Apr 16th

So what to do? I realized that the cord from my computer charger to the wire extension from the power outlet had tangled around my foot, and that this was what caused me to trip over. In frustration over the internet connection not working properly, not being able to send the overdue application that I had spent far too much time on, I had too quickly and with a clumsy movement raised up from the table. I now found myself lying on the floor on the terrace of this Italian restaurant, having partly wet pants because of the fancy fountain flowing over on the floor right next to me. I was alone on the terrace, as Ragna and Simon had left an hour earlier to let me work on my application. The inside of the restaurant was filling up though, and I could feel eyes glaring at me through the large windows. “Are you alright?” As expected the waitress had come out to check on me. She unplugged the charger cable tangled around my foot. “Mumkin al Hasaab?”

I figured Beirut could only get better from then on. Short on sleep, after a disastrous week of late homework turnins, class skippings and not showing up for mid-terms, I could not be more ready for a few days of indulging in the pleassures of modern city life. After leaving the Italian place in a hurry, I found a Costa Coffee in Hamra street, and sent my intern-application after (again!) some hassle with their wireless connection. Time to party, finally.

The bars in Beirut have females in them. Also enjoyable liquor and music. Good service too. I didn’t miss Cairo.

Downtown Beirut. Really something. Today we went around in its posh side alleys, discussing politics and gender equality, business opportunities and fantasizing about our features.

There is a fancy car for every purpose in Downtown Beirut. The upper middle classes cruise around in huge BMW X6s and Audi Q8s. The even richer ones have Corvettes and Ferraris. I knew that there was money in Lebanon, but really? The police drive some pretty mean looking Chevys, and the army has specialized Gelenderwagens with mounted machine guns. Then there are the VIPs. GMCs with dark windows, driving around in columns.

And the women. A hot babe, climbing her Harley Davidson. Tight leather west, Ray Bans and a hands free microphone. Probably aware but still naturally ignorant of the attention she was getting, she roared out of sight down the Beirut avenue. I say no more.

Tomorrow, or maybe the day after, we’ll go to Shatilla refugee camp. Insh Allah we’ll see contrasts. Maybe if we’re lucky, we’ll have time for a glimpse of Hezbollah too before we leave this place.

Lars, Beirut

1 kommentar:

  1. Hola:) Jeg er så lei meg for at jeg ikke fikk gitt deg noen tips om Beirut. Ordnet visum og billett til Cuba på mandag og tok meg en tur samme dag (Og sorry for at jeg ikke fikk møtt deg på Cuba, Hilde!). see you all back in OSLO:)

    SvarSlett